Backyard barbecues, splashing around in the pool and fun in the sun are all integral activities of enjoying a warm and gorgeous summer in Milwaukee. But, summer also invites a whole lot of pests into your yard and home, including raccoons and other small animals. Prevention efforts can be done the DIY way, but removal should be left to experienced professionals. Knowing the do’s and don’ts of animal control can be of great help if you come across signs of an infestation (for example, noticing raccoon poop around your Milwaukee home).
Practicing proactive pest control is one of the absolute best ways to avoid annoying pests in the summer even though the occasional infestation will be nothing more than a stroke of bad luck. In order to enjoy beautiful warm summer nights in your backyard, you’d best start utilizing these methods of summer pest control as early as you can. Among such practices, here are the most important ones:
- Make sure to regularly clean your gutters.
- Know exactly what you’re planting in your garden as some plants attract certain pests while others help keep them away.
- Prevent ticks, fleas and mosquitoes by having a well-maintained lawn and garden. This means you’ll need to pull out all weeds that are growing around the sides of your home and mow your lawn in regular intervals.
- Perform a thorough inspection of your home, including garbage cans, and seal all possible entry points completely and properly.
- Get rid of all sources of standing water from your yard as anything that can collect water also provides an invitation for raccoons and other wildlife. This can involve empty containers, pet dishes and bird baths.
- Store food in sealed containers and keep your house clean.
While DIY pest control can at times be effective for certain pests that show up only in small numbers, there are things you shouldn’t do if wildlife gets inside your home or the infestation gets out of hand. The most important things to remember in such cases include:
- NEVER handle a pest infestation by yourself. In addition to not being trained for it, a DIY approach will likely only make the problem worse. Instead, call a professional and seek their help.
- Never let sprinklers spray directly toward your home’s foundation.
- Piles of garbage attract everything from raccoons and other small animals to mosquitoes, rodents, ants and cockroaches, so make sure your property is clear of trash.
- Always store pesticides in original containers and never transfer them.
- NEVER use chemicals intended for outdoor usage inside of structures. Such chemicals typically contain toxins in greater concentration.
- NEVER try to remove a bee or wasp nest on your own. Should you discover a nest on your property or home, contact a professional pest removal company to help you.
If You’re not too keen on the DIY Approach, Skedaddle is Always There to Help
Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control has over 20 years of experience when it comes to handling a wide array of infestation and invasion problems, coming to the aid of more than 200,000 homeowners in that time. This means Skedaddle technicians are experienced and more than capable of tackling any pest or wildlife problem you may have. Finding traces of wildlife such as raccoon poop around your Milwaukee home means you likely have an infestation on your hands and need to react immediately. Get in touch with Skedaddle today and ensure your summer is peaceful and wildlife-free.