Today is Squirrel Appreciation Day across the globe. Being in the business we are in, we see and appreciate squirrels on a daily basis. It’s at times a difficult relationship — often one of eviction and damage — but it’s always about respect. We think squirrels are awesome. Yes we do.
Just a few reasons why squirrels are awesome:
- They’re triangulation masters! This is how they remember where they stashed their food for the winter
- The squirrel is very deceptive. They are known to fake out predators and rotten, thieving squirrels by burying “false” food caches
- They can FLY! Actually, the flying squirrel can glide through the air using membrane that stretches from their wrist bone to their ankle bone
- A squirrel is a rodent, which means their front teeth never stop growing. They need to chew constantly to keep them at a reasonable size
- There are more than 200 species of squirrels worldwide (everywhere but Australia!)
These are just a few of the over 600,000 reasons why squirrels are awesome. So the next time you see a squirrel stop in its tracks and look straight ahead, pretending it doesn’t see you, tip your cap and say “good day, squirrel”. At least we won’t think you’re nuts.