Starlings start to prepare their nests and lay their eggs during spring, like many other birds. Because they are cavity nesters, they would normally make their home inside holes found in rock faces and tree hollows. In urban areas where trees are in fewer supply, starlings have had to adapt their nesting habits. As part of that adaptation, they seem to be particularly fond of vent openings found on the sides of houses. Although these openings serve to exhaust indoor appliances like dryers, kitchen and bathroom fans, they offer similar nesting conditions to these birds, which results in the need for bird removal services.
During their stay in your vent, birds will carry a lot of materials inside, often bringing moisture along with them. Over time this built up mess of a nest can create a horrible smell and allows for bacteria to thrive. Some of the main materials our technicians pull out of peoples vents are:
Among several things that happen when a mating pair of starlings chooses to nest and lay eggs inside your vent opening, the following are nearly inevitable:
Removing birds from dryer vents is crucial because many of them are covered with tiny bugs called bird mites. These bugs survive off of the blood of both babies and adult starlings. When the birds leave the nest or the mite population grows too large, it typically migrates into the home in search of new hosts. They cause discomfort and irritation by biting the skin, although they cannot survive on humans very long.
Starlings build large and messy nests with twigs, grass, and leaves. Often enough, their nests grow so large they can fill an entire garbage bag. Such nests block air flow and trap heat, causing fan motors and dryers to overheat. At that point, the dry nest material can easily act as a fire accelerant.
Droppings are an obvious reason for calling in bird removal professionals. In addition to causing permanent staining of building materials and bad odor, the accumulation of droppings can also lead to health concerns for humans.
Birds are also carriers of diseases transferable to our family and our pets. When they are living and leaving droppings inside the vent that allows air flow into or out of a home, this puts a great risk of the diseases being spread. Some of the most common diseases birds carry are:
When it comes to bird removal, especially in an area like a vent where germs can easily be spread, DIY solutions are not the answer. After the birds have gone, you may want to attempt to remove the nest and feces on your own. During this process you put yourself at risk of inhaling the harmful bacteria in the droppings. Not only this, but you will likely have to reach the high points in your home that birds love, putting yourself at risk.
When cleaning on your own, there is no guarantee you have collected all the contaminated material within your home. This leaves bacteria behind and also dry materials like twigs and leaves. These dry materials inside a vent can create a fire hazard. To avoid a fire or infection, the cleaning of a bird’s nest should always be left to the professionals.
The best thing you can do is call in professional bird removal experts at the first sign of an infestation. Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control technicians will not only remove the birds and their babies in a humane way, but will also clean the vents thoroughly and secure them against re-entry. With nearly 30 years of experience in the field, Skedaddle is more than capable of solving any bird problem quickly and with minimal discomfort for both the humans and birds.