Raccoons are found abundantly in Canadian cities and suburbs, as well as the wilderness. Their population has flourished while living among human settlements and the reality is that they are here to stay. Just because we cannot get rid of all the raccoons in our neighbourhoods does not mean we should invite them into our homes.
Here are some simple things you can do to protect your home and property:
Do Not Feed the Wildlife
Raccoons, like all animals, need food to survive but that does not mean that it should come from humans. As an omnivore, raccoons will eat anything they come across. Well-fed raccoons live longer and produce larger litters of babies which increase your neighbourhood’s population and the likelihood for conflict.
- Never leave food out for raccoons or other animals.
- Never leave pet food outside.
- Keep garbage inside or in secure containers until collection.
- Store garden compost in secure containers.
- Pick fruits and vegetables from the garden as soon as they become ripe.
- Have your lawn treated against white grubs to prevent raccoons from digging it up.
Proper Home Maintenance
For most people, their home is their greatest investment. Harsh Canadian weather can take its toll on houses, quickly turning minor repairs into major renovations. One of the best ways to protect it against costly raccoon damage and destruction is regular inspections.
- Quickly spotting and repairing damage can save you thousands in the long run. Regularly inspect your home and roof for openings and signs of rot and deterioration.
- Regularly trim tree branches and vegetation to prevent raccoons from easily accessing your roof. The truth is that a very determined raccoon can climb just about anything, but the harder you can make it the less likely they are to try.
- Wildlife proof potential points of entry on your roof, including: roof vents, soffits, chimneys and plumbing mats. Be sure to check for ground-level entries below additions, decks, sheds and porches.
There are many things you can do to protect your home depending on how much time you have and how handy you are. For professional and guaranteed results, call Skedaddle at 1-888-592-0387.