For many, getting rid of mice is a daunting task that only an expert removal company can do thoroughly and effectively. If you neglect to address a mice problem in your home, you could have mice infest walls, attics, and basements, causing significant amounts of damage. Moreover, mice are dangerous for human health. Once they get inside a home, they’ll target your kitchen, risking infecting your food and groceries with numerous dangerous viruses and bacteria. Mice drop feces everywhere they go, and ingesting it accidentally is a health threat you do not want to have. From rabies to Hantavirus, mice will expose you to countless health risks. Driven by a desire to resolve a mice infestation as quickly and cheaply as possible, many homeowners resort to using poison. Expert pest removal companies don’t recommend amateur mice removal, particularly poisoning, for numerous reasons.
Why Using Rat Poison on Mice is Dangerous
Poison is dangerous. All toxic chemicals, including pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides, are also toxic to people, surrounding animals and soil. The chemicals inside rat poison are quite toxic for every creature that ingests it, as well as for the soil it reaches. It’s non-biodegradable, which means it will stay inside your soil for a very long time. Here are some more of the risks that come from poisoning mice:
Collateral damage – Every other living creature that ingests the poison is also at risk. Even if an animal, like a pet or a domestic animal, doesn’t directly ingest the poison, they could eat poisoned mice and suffer health damage. Some pets can survive ingesting rat poison, but it often leaves lifelong consequences to their health. If you lay out rat poison carelessly, yours or your neighbour’s pet could become severely ill. There is also the risk of children coming into contact with the poison, creating a highly dangerous situation for them.
Soil contamination – If you plan on growing a garden or plants on your property, using poison is anything but a good idea. It will soak the soil and pollute it for years to come. It is also possible for that poison to make its way to sources of water, such as lakes, rivers and wells.Brown rat searching for food.
Ineffective and inhumane approach – Poison is not the number one solution for humanely removing mice from your home. In most cases, it will cause a slow and painful death to rodents, but it won’t put them down immediately. Poisoned rodents could keep moving around, and get hunted by other pests and wild animals. Creating ever further risks of contamination beyond that of your intended target and causing unnecessary suffering for countless creatures.
Getting Rid of Mice is Easy With Skedaddle
Instead of risking harming your family and environment, call an expert pest removal company to help you with getting rid of mice from your home. Successfully removing the mice in an infested home will require knowledge of their habits, movement and daily cycle, which is something only an expert removal company can do. Certified experts from Skedaddle will inspect your home, handle mice removal using safe and humane methods, as well as suggest repairs and adjustments that will keep the pests from coming back into your home in the future.