Here at Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control we’re often asked which type of animal causes the most property damage. While the truth is that just about every urban wildlife species is capable of damaging a home, the worst offenders are most certainly squirrels.
Maybe it’s because they’re small and cute, but most homeowners seem to underestimate just how destructive a squirrel infestation can be. It doesn’t take very long for a group or family of squirrels to inflict thousands of dollars in home damage. In fact, some of the most badly damaged attics we have seen are those that have been occupied by squirrels.
Here are just some of the most common types of damage:
- Electrical Wiring – Like other rodents, squirrels four front teeth grow continuously. To help them sharp and worn down, squirrels must gnaw on solid objects. Inside attics, one of their favourite items to chew are electrical wires that run throughout. This type of chewing is an incredibly dangerous fire hazard. Each year squirrels are responsible for many house fires in Canada.
- Structural Wood – In addition to electrical wires, squirrels also love to chew wood. In the same way they gnaw on fence posts and tree limbs, they also chew attic and roof beams.
- Insulation Damage – Squirrels love to build nests out of the insulation they find in attics. They will shred, compact and push insulation to build nests inside the house. This behaviour makes the insulation ineffective and leads to increased heating and cooling bills for homeowners.
- Odour – With time, the smell of squirrel urine and feces can begin to penetrate building materials causing the entire home to take on an offensive musty odour.
- Water Leaks – When squirrels chew on the exterior of your home you’re left vulnerable to costly water damage repairs.
The best way to prevent property damage by squirrels is to act quickly and evict them from your home as soon as possible. The longer squirrels are able to live inside your home, the more destruction they’re can cause. In just a few short weeks you could end up with a hefty repair bill.
Don’t wait. Click here to learn more about squirrels or call Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control today. We remove squirrels in from homes and business in Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton Niagara, Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, London, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax.