Squirrels are adorable little creatures that create hours of entertainment in the wild. Unfortunately, they often invade homes. You might initially feel that it’s fun, but there are risks that squirrels pose for both your home and family. You must understand how to get rid of squirrel infestations to keep your home and family safe.
Not sure where to turn? At Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control, we have the answers. Squirrels carry diseases and can hurt your family members, so the answer is always to contact us, for wildlife removal. But why are they in your home in the first place?
Tips for Eliminating Squirrel Infestations Caused by Food and Water
Squirrels are natural collectors. They’re always looking for food to store away. They also need food and water to consume and give to their young.
Your home is probably loaded with food. It’s in the refrigerator, pantry, cupboards, and maybe even a hidden-away drawer somewhere. You might have an emergency supply in the basement, and the kids may have lost a sandwich under the couch. If you have a pet, there’s probably kibble on the floor.
All of these food locations are sources for squirrels looking for something to eat. You also have to consider the water in your toilet, leaky faucets, and other standing water they could drink. If you’re wondering how to prevent food and water from attracting squirrels, there are a few things to do:
- Repair leaks right away. Any leaky faucets or pipes should be repaired immediately so the squirrels don’t have a drinking source. You should also leave the toilet lid down when not in use.
- Keep food in the kitchen. The more locations you store food in, the more access squirrels will have to it. Keeping food in the kitchen at all times keeps it more contained and easy to manage.
- Clean the kitchen. When you spill something, clean it up. At the end of the day, make sure counters are wiped down, the floor is swept, and any food is put away.
Learning Where Squirrels Live To Avoid an Infestation
In nature, squirrels live in crevices, burrows, and other dark, protected areas. Where do squirrels live in your home? In similar dark, protected areas, such as the attic. Winters get cold and summers get hot. When they find a temperature-controlled area, that’s the perfect place to nest down and raise their young, and it mimics their wild dens in nature. There are several things you can do to avoid these neighbors moving in upstairs:
- Inspect the attic regularly. Make sure you’re looking in the attic to check for infestations. If there are nesting areas, wildlife removal in Prince Frederick is in order.
- Repair cracks and other damage. If there are any openings where a squirrel can fit into your home, that’s like an open door welcoming them to move in. Have these problems repaired promptly.
- Use strong odors as repellant. Spraying the perimeter of your attic with apple cider vinegar or peppermint could deter squirrels, but it’s only a temporary solution.
Understanding Why Squirrels Enter Homes To Be Aware
Squirrels often enter homes to keep away from predators. Especially if a squirrel is pregnant, she will look for anywhere possible to hide from coyotes, foxes, weasels, and snakes. If any of those predators are in your neighborhood, it’s important to be aware that squirrels might come looking for protection inside your home.
Contact Us To Learn How To Get Rid of Squirrel Infestations
When you have a wildlife control issue, it’s always important to hire the professionals at Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control. Our team of experts is dedicated to providing effective solutions for various wildlife concerns. Whether you’ve been dealing with squirrels for years or have just noticed their presence, we are here to assist you. Contact us today to learn how we can help you handle your squirrel problem or to request our reliable and humane wildlife control services.