Reasons Raccoons Are a Problem for HomeownersRaccoons that see your home as a desirable source of food and shelter quickly become a problem. These curious creatures will stop at nothing to find their way inside. Check out these four reasons they need to be discouraged from hanging around your house.
1. Take Up Residence in Your AtticThe place you call home sweet home is similarly inviting to a raccoon family. Your attic is like a swank apartment when they want a safe living space away from the watchful gaze of predators. They also appreciate the accessible food sources of neighbourhood garbage bins. If these critters settle in your attic, they are not likely to leave on their own.
2. Cause Property DamageRaccoons are renowned chewers. These mammals have strong teeth and jaws that can gnaw through most materials. A family in your attic is like a wrecking team. They destroy wiring, tear up insulation, cause structural damage and pull apart exterior siding or roofing to make their way inside. They are incredibly powerful, so a few of these animals can add up to serious household damage and safety issues.
3. Carry DiseaseMost wild animals can carry diseases, and raccoons are no different. Their eating habits invite parasites and bacteria because they are opportunistic animals that forage on the garbage and rotting animals when available. The roundworms they carry can cause serious illness in humans and other animals. Contact with waste droppings exposes people to roundworms. Rabies is another serious problem. Raccoon bites cause almost half of rabies cases. If these animals live inside your home, humane raccoon removal is essential for your safety.
4. Rummage in TrashMost people who watch raccoons rummage through trash bins appreciate their skills and may find their antics adorable. However, this is a warning sign that your home could be invaded. Animals conserve energy by choosing easy food sources, so why leave a place that has a ready-made buffet? If they eat your garbage, a family might as well seek nearby shelter. Your attic, porch, shed, crawlspace or garage make perfect shelters.
Ways Humane Wildlife Removal Protects Your HomeOur expert Okanagan service team has the knowledge and technologies to remove unwanted wildlife from your home or property safely. This is our unique and effective process:
- Assess and remove: We thoroughly assess your property and locate points of raccoon entry. We strategically remove the adults and babies. The young are placed in a heated baby box that protects them until the mother moves them to a new den.
- Clear and clean: We then carefully clear the site of animal refuse and debris. Once an area is cleared, we thoroughly decontaminate to ensure a safe and healthy environment.
- Prevent and protect: We use exclusion techniques to prevent raccoons from returning. We locate entry points and seal them with heavy-duty screening patches.