CALL US TODAY1.888.592.0387 Quick Contact Menu


Get Help

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Call us today: 888.592.0387

Whitby Animal Control: The Dangers of Rat Poison

It’s hard to find a household in which rats are welcomed. Their presence in buildings is undesirable because of the health risks and physical damages associated with them. Below we discuss some reasons rat poison should not be the animal control technique of choice for Whitby residents.

Rat Poisons – A Deeper Look

Some rat poisons work by thinning the blood thereby encouraging internal bleeding. Anticoagulants slow down the clotting process. Rodent poisons are classified according to their strength.

The mildest version of rodent poisons contains chemicals such as Warfarin, Chlorophacinone, and Diphacinone. They are classified as long-acting or first-generation anticoagulants or (LAACs) and they function by causing clots in the blood vessels. Also known as first generation coagulants, these rat poisons require multiple doses to be consumed in order to have their effect since their impact is cumulative.

Second generation coagulants are deadlier than their first generation counterparts. They contain ingredients such as Difenacoum, Difethialone, Brodifacoum, and Bromadiolone. Bromadiolone works by triggering swelling in the brain.  Second generation anticoagulants can be countered with vitamin K doses.

There is one type of poison that has no established treatment for accidental poisonings. These are the poisons that contain zinc and aluminum phosphides.  The best way to tackle the accidental ingestion of this poison is to get the victim immediate medical attention. Consuming food after ingesting this poison is particularly dangerous as the food will interact with the poison resulting in increased toxicity. Vomit induction and stomach lavage are among the first courses of action for countering this poison.

Poison is not a humane or effective method of any wildlife control.

Rat Poisons’ Unintended Victims

Rat poison has claimed many human victims with children being the ones who suffer most. Children, especially those that are at the crawling stage, often find the hidden locations of the poisons in their daily exploration. Household pets also suffer as a result of the use of rodent poisons. Often times, pets will consume the poison accidentally believing it to be food.

For some poisons, the fumes released from the victim (through vomit etc.) can prove toxic to others. Pet owners, for example, are advised to keep their windows down as they rush their animal companion to the veterinary clinic for poison treatment. This is important because if the pet vomits in transit and the windows are up, the concentration of the toxic fumes will be thick putting the health of others in the car at risk as well.

First generation poisons are typically less lethal than the other forms of poisons but they still pose a threat to the lives of children and pets. The second generation anticoagulants though are extremely deadly. They are usually at the root of life-threatening accidental poisonings.

The Messy Side of Rat Poison

Another reason to avoid rodent poison is the mess it leaves behind. Dead rodents could turn up all over the building after the poison has been administered. As if that weren’t bad enough, some rats may not die in easily accessible spaces. Considering the secretive nature of the animals, it is easy to see how some may meet their final demise in some remote inaccessible crevices in the building. The dilemma becomes evident when the smell starts to make its way into the remainder of the home. If the rat is located in or near air vents then you can bet the smell will permeate the entire interior.  This is a smell that tends to linger on for weeks and even months. Nobody wants to endure that kind of stench.

In addition to all this, poisons are powerless when it comes to preventing future infestations. This frustrates many people who wonder why they still have a rat problem after having set the poison.

The Ultimate Solution to a Rat Infestation

How can you avoid the pitfalls of rat poison? Get expert animal control teams such as Skedaddle’s to handle your rat problem. Skedaddle will thoroughly examine your building to confirm rodent infestation, determine the extent of the invasion and craft a plan to convert the space into a rodent-free zone. We will then reinforce your building’s defences against future invasion. With Skedaddle on the job, you can rest assured that you will be receiving the most humane animal control intervention that can be found in Whitby.

Don't forget to share this post!

Did you find this Blog useful?

Not useful at allSomewhat usefulUsefulFairly usefulVery useful

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

About the author:Founder of Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control in 1989. Canada's largest urban wildlife removal and exclusion company. Industry leader and pioneer. Split, Scram, Scoot! However you want to say it, Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control has helped over 200,000 home owners and businesses safely and effectively resolve their wildlife issues. Happy to discuss business and franchising opportunities

Connect with the author via: LinkedIn

Main Categories