The following are some ways which people can protect themselves and their pets against rabies:
- Make sure dogs and cats keep current rabies vaccinations. Consult with your veterinarian.
- Do not attract wild animals to your home or yard. Store bird seed or other animal feed in containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Feed pets indoors.
- Make sure garbage cans are tightly capped.
- Board up any openings to your attic, basement, porch or garage.
- Call a professional to cap your chimney with appropriate screening, like these (link).
- Teach children not to approach or to touch any animal they do not know.