Canada’s SPCAIn Canada, the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is tasked with the responsibility of enforcing animal rights legislation. It is a good idea for homeowners in Bowmanville and indeed all over Canada, to arm themselves with knowledge about these laws to prevent being caught on the wrong side of the law.
Federal LegislationThe criminal code of Canada prohibits cruelty to animals and outlines offences such as:
- Willfully causing or, as an owner, willfully allowing a bird or animal to be in unnecessary pain or injury, or facilitating bird fighting or the baiting of animals or birds.
- Willfully, without reasonable excuse, administering a poisonous drug or one that damages a birds or animals health or allowing any such dangerous drug to be given to the animal or bird.
- Promoting, arranging, conducting, assisting in, receiving money as proceeds from or taking part in any meeting, competition, exhibition, pastime, practice, display or event that involve the trapping and shooting of freed or wild animals or birds.
- As an owner or occupant of a space allowing any part of the property to be used for the activity outlined in number 3 above.
- Cause an animal to be in distress, whether you are acting as custodian or owner.
- Organize or participate in animal fighting events.
- Own animal fighting paraphernalia
- Harm law enforcement animals.