How To Identify Mice Problems at Your BusinessHaving mice in your small business is more than just a nuisance. It can be a health hazard. These rodents carry diseases and parasites. They also can get into food and damage the structure. So, if you think you have a problem, it is important to address it promptly. These are some signs that there may be mice calling your place of work their home:
- Droppings: This is the most obvious sign. If you see small, dark excrement, you need to address the issue promptly.
- Bite or Scratch Marks: Mice use their teeth and claws to make passages, find food and otherwise get around. Look for any signs or tunneling.
- Grease: Sometimes you may notice dark, greasy patches, especially around thresholds or holes in the wall. This is caused by mice brushing against the walls as they pass by.
- Nests: Finally, you may discover a mouse nest. Chances are that if you find this, you will also discover mice. They are usually in attics, wall cavities and similar hidden spots.
How To Protect Your BusinessIt is very difficult to catch a mouse problem early and you may need professional help to ensure all mice are removed and areas cleaned completely if you spot one in your building. To help prevent mice from coming inside, there are some simple DIY methods. It is a good idea to take some preventative measures even if you don’t think you have a problem yet. These are a few tips for protecting your business from rodents:
- Food: Keep your kitchen area clean and orderly. Immediately sweep up any crumbs or dropped food. Additionally, put all stored food items inside containers and in cabinets or the fridge. Mice can chew through many containers, especially cardboard.
- Trash: Empty your garbage bins very regularly (ideally nightly). Mice are not very picky about their food. If they find something edible in the trash, they will be glad to eat it.
- Holes: If you find any holes that may be pathways for rodents, seal them up. Minimizing their ability to get around can help keep mice at bay.