How Can I Tell if a Raccoon is Rabid or Not?Here are five typical signs of a rabid raccoon:
- Appears to look sick- raccoons can contract a variety of diseases, but you should not risk coming into contact with a sick raccoon.
- Foaming at the mouth – One of the most well-known symptoms of rabies. If you spot this, be sure to keep your distance.
- Making strange noises - most raccoons make noises, but a sick raccoon will make uncommon noises.
- Looks confused, disoriented, and slow – a healthy raccoon will look busy as they are very active and intelligent.
- Difficulty walking – Paralysis in the legs is often a symptom of rabies.