Spring’s blossoming flowers and chirping birds offer a beautiful start to our daily lives in Oakville. But another, less delightful, sign of spring may be lurking right in your backyard – a squirrel problem.
As spring approaches, these wildlife awaken from hibernation, and your warm, comfortable home might just become their target. It’s a subtle shift, one that requires a keen eye to detect. This is why we’re here to guide you through the top 10 signs of a spring squirrel infestation and provide key strategies on how to address it.
Today’s discussion encompasses an array of crucial points, starting with recognizing signs of a squirrel problem. We’ll shed light on how and why squirrels enter your home during the spring, the potential dangers they present, and techniques on how to get rid of them. You’ll learn about the great benefits of partnering with a professional wildlife removal service, focusing on our highly skilled team.
Being prepared is half the battle won. So, don your detective cap as we explore together this often-overlooked aspect of spring wildlife in Oakville.
What are the Top 10 Signs of a Spring Squirrel Infestation in Homes?
Spring often brings with it the colourful bloom of flowers and vibrant wildlife activity. However, it can also mark the beginning of squirrel problems for homeowners. Spotting these signs early can help unearth a growing problem before it becomes uncontrollable. So, what are the telltale signs of a spring squirrel issue? Let’s explore.
- Scratching Sounds: Squirrels running around or chewing on your attic’s structure can produce a lot of noise, especially at dawn or dusk.
- Visible Damage: You might spot broken shingles, damaged soffits, or chewed-up wires, indicating a possible squirrel presence.
- Loose Nesting Materials: Look out for leaves, twigs, or pieces of insulation scattered around your grounds – signs of squirrel nesting habits.
- Droppings: Finding squirrel poop in the attic or around your property is a surefire sign of an infestation.
- Unpleasant Odour: A consistent foul smell of urine or rotting material could suggest a squirrel presence.
- Increased Squirrel Activity: If you notice more squirrels around your property than usual, it’s likely they have found a comfortable spot – your home.
- Stale Food Items: Missing food or finding squirrel-stashed provisions could indicate an intrusion.
- Footprint Tracks: Keep an eye out for tiny paw tracks around your property. They are usually seen in snowy or muddy conditions.
- Squirrel Sightings: If you frequently spot squirrels entering and exiting your home, it is clear they have made a home in your home.
- Inconsistent Home Temperatures: Squirrels can damage your insulation, leading to fluctuating indoor temperatures.
Despite their cute and fluffy appearance, squirrels can wreak havoc in your home by gnawing on structures, damaging electrical wiring, and causing a potential fire risk. Now that you know the signs to look out for, the question is, ‘How do squirrels find their way into your home during spring?’ and ‘How can you effectively deal with your squirrel problem?
How Do Squirrels Typically Gain Entry into Homes During the Spring Season?
Squirrels are incredibly agile creatures, renowned for their adaptability and knack for finding ways into man-made structures. Your home is no exception, particularly during the spring season when squirrel activity increases as they look for places to nest and have their young.
So, how do squirrels find their way into your home?
- Roof and Attic; Squirrels are excellent climbers, and the roof or attic is often their entry point. They don’t need much of an opening to gain entry and can chew through wood, insulation, and even metal to create a passage.
- Chimney; Your home’s chimney is another prime spot for squirrel entry. Uncapped chimneys are essentially open invitations for squirrels seeking shelter.
- Eaves and soffits; These parts of your home can also provide entry points. Weak, rotted, or ill-fitted eaves and soffits are prime targets for these crafty creatures.
- Vents; Unprotected vents create a simple access point for squirrels. This includes dryer, exhaust, and oven vents.
- Gaps and Damage – These creatures can exploit existing gaps or damage to your home’s exterior or foundation to gain entry.
Remember, squirrels are motivated and committed creatures. Once they decide your home is the perfect nesting site, they will work diligently to gain and maintain access. Therefore, regular home maintenance to ensure all potential access points are sealed is vital to prevent a spring squirrel infestation.
What Potential Dangers Do Squirrels Present to Homeowners?
A squirrel problem, particularly during the spring, can bring about significant potential hazards to your home. Squirrels are more than just a nuisance; they create a series of risks that homeowners need to be aware of for both their property and health.
The Damage to Your Property
Structural Damage: Squirrels can cause significant destruction to your home. As they have a natural inclination to gnaw, they can deteriorate wooden beams, causing potential structural damage. Not only do they chew wood, but they can also gnaw on electrical wiring, leading to dangerous situations such as fires.
Insulation Damage: Squirrels often burrow into insulation to create nests, significantly reducing their effectiveness. This can lead to increased energy costs for the homeowner.
The Health Risks
Squirrels may look cute, but they can carry diseases that pose considerable health risks. Some of these are:
- Salmonella: Squirrels, like other rodents, can carry the bacteria Salmonella. This can lead to salmonellosis in humans if they come into contact with contaminated surfaces.
- Leptospirosis: This bacterial infection may also occur from contact with squirrel urine or contaminated water or soil.
- Rabies: Though rare, squirrels are capable of carrying rabies, a deadly disease.
Recognizing these threats, it becomes vital for homeowners to address a squirrel problem promptly. This is not a task to be taken lightly or carried out as a do-it-yourself project. For safe and effective removal, consider hiring a professional wildlife technician.
What are the Steps a Professional Wildlife Technician Would Take to Remove Squirrels?
Need to know how to get rid of squirrels? When it comes to squirrel removal, engaging a professional wildlife technician, like our team at Skedaddle, is a wise choice. We understand the ins and outs of the task, carrying out every process efficiently and humanely. Let’s take a look at our standard operating procedures:
Step 1: Assessment
Assessment is where everything begins. Upon receiving your call, our trained professionals visit your property to study the squirrel problem extent, nature, and damage.
Step 2: Squirrel Extraction
After a thorough assessment, the core phase of squirrel extraction is conducted. This involves humane methods to compel the squirrels to vacate your premises voluntarily. The little creatures are coaxed outside through thoughtful placement of one-way doors and removal of attractants. Under no circumstances do we resort to harmful substances or indiscriminate trapping of animals.
Step 3: Prevention of Re-Entry
The next critical step is preventing squirrel re-entry. Unnoticed squirrel entry routes into your home are properly sealed, making it challenging for squirrels to return.
Step 4: Clean-up & Decontamination
The final step in our process is the clean-up and decontamination phase. Any mess left behind, along with potential health risks posed by the infestation, are thoroughly addressed using professional-grade biocides and cleaners to return your home to its original, clean state.
This comprehensive approach is a testament to why our service is regarded as one of the best when it comes to squirrel removal. We not only help you get rid of the pesky creatures but also ensure they don’t return and that your home is safely cleaned post-process.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Professional Wildlife Removal Service?
Identifying a spring squirrel problem promptly in your home is crucial, but it’s equally important to act on the signs and get professional help. When you bring in a professional wildlife removal service, several key advantages come into play:
- Correct Identification: Professionals have a keen eye for correctly identifying the species causing the infestation. This knowledge aids in deploying the most effective removal methods with minimal risks and damages.
- Proficient Techniques: They possess a thorough understanding and training in humane and ethical squirrel removal techniques. This way, not only are these wildlife pests removed, but this is done without causing them undue harm.
- Prevention of Future Infestations: Wildlife experts can also spot potential entry points to a home and offer solutions to seal them off, thereby protecting your residence from future squirrel problems.
- Health and Safety Measures: Dealing with a squirrel infestation poses health risks due to the potential spread of diseases and parasites. Skilled professionals are well-versed in safety measures to keep your family and themselves safe during the removal process.
- Long Term Solutions: Professional services provide long-term solutions, including ongoing monitoring and backup support, to ensure the infestation doesn’t recur.
It’s understandable if you might be tempted to deal with squirrel on your own. However, removing squirrels, especially during spring when they could be nursing, requires a delicate, well-informed approach. This, aligned with the advantages listed above, convincingly demonstrates why seeking professional help is the best decision.
Why Opt for Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control for your Squirrel Removal Needs?
When contemplating the right service to assist in removing squirrels from your home, we at Skedaddle present a top-tier solution for multiple reasons:
- Experience: With over 30 years of experience, we’ve established our standing as leaders in humane wildlife control and squirrel removal in Oakville.
- Comprehensive Services: We do not just remove the squirrels. We also provide clean-up and decontamination services, ensuring your home gets back to the safe, comfortable space it was before the infestation.
- Commitment to Humane Practices: Our sustainable and humane methods prioritize the well-being of both the wildlife and your family.
- Local Presence: Being a locally operating service, we understand the nuances of the local wildlife, their behavioural patterns, and routes of entry.
Let our professional wildlife technicians assist you in dealing with squirrels. Your peace of mind is a priority to us. We assure you of a comprehensive and humane solution for your wildlife issue, providing quality and efficient service every step of the way.
If you suspect or confirm a spring squirrel infestation in your Oakville home, we are the best choice to help you tackle it. Our proven techniques, commitment to the humane treatment of wildlife, and the experienced team comprise the comprehensive approach needed to restore the peace and safety of your home.
Interested in learning more about how we can assist you? Contact us to request a quote or for more information about our team and our methods. Here at Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control, we’re ready to provide the help you need to get rid of those unwelcome springtime guests intelligently and compassionately.