Historically, pigeons were domesticated birds. Owners used them to carry and deliver messages, which provided a significant system in many older wars. Unfortunately, over time, they have become the most common public nuisance. They are everywhere: in business parking lots, in public parks, on freeway overpasses, on top of buildings and under bridges. If your business has been invaded by these seemingly innocent birds, it’s time to call in the wildlife removal experts.
The Problem With Pigeons
Pigeons are beautiful birds, with their grey feathers often giving off an array of multiple metallic-looking colours. Don’t let this fool you, they are not your friends. There are many reasons you should keep your distance and have them removed as soon as possible:
- They harbour diseases: Pigeons like to travel, but they always know where home is. This means they’re constantly flying around, potentially collecting diseases, then bringing them back to your home or business where they live. You can get infected through food and water that has spores from a number of diseases settling their feathers or in their droppings.
- They cause infections: Pigeon fecal droppings create dust that can settle on open wounds on your body, or potentially be inhaled. When your injury is contaminated, it often leads to infection, which could also contribute to serious illness and possible death.
- They smell bad: Most wild animals emit offensive odours, and it is often due to their excrement. Though other animals leave most of their droppings while they’re out and about, birds roost and create a huge pile of droppings in one place. This begins to smell unpleasant in just a short period of time.
- They destroy property: Pigeon droppings have a high level of acidity, which means they are going to cause corrosion. Whether they’re on a wooden bridge or in the eaves of a roof, the destruction begins slowly but ends up becoming a serious issue.
- They look bad: Looks shouldn’t matter, but when it comes to a professional presentation for your business they do. First impressions and aesthetic appeal are all a part of proper advertising, and creating a reputable image. If you have pigeons hanging around your property, it’s not going to look good for your company. Potential clients don’t want pigeon droppings on their cars, and the birds just have a bad reputation, carrying that negative connotation to your business.
The Solution for Pigeon Removal and Exclusion
At Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control, careful measures are taken to ensure proper pigeon removal and exclusion. As an entrepreneur or homeowner, you should never try to take care of the problem on your own. The proper safety equipment and tools are necessary to ensure you don’t get exposed to a disease that could dramatically alter your life. This is why bird control professionals are essential. The secure process at Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control works like this:
- Technicians look for entry points. They study the nesting area to determine what phase of the breeding cycle the pigeons are in. The nesting materials are then removed, but a protective container is put in its place if there are younger babies who cannot fly yet.
- The site is decontaminated. Part of the cleaning process includes clearing out any contaminated materials. This might include pigeon droppings, carcasses and more. It’s important the proper safety gear is used so dust from the droppings is not inhaled. If repairs are needed, such as fixing the ventilation system or replacing insulation, the technician will advise of this as well.
- The entrance is secured. Removing the birds is only one step in the procedure. Now you need a way to keep them out. Securing the entrance to the area where the pigeons nested is the best way to do this. If there are birds deep inside, such as in a ventilation system, a one-way door is put on the entrance. This way, the pigeon can get out for food but won’t have a way to get back in. Once they are all out, the entry point is screened and sealed.
Contact a Wildlife Removal Technician
One of the biggest nuisances to a business owner is a pigeon infestation. They smell bad, leave acidic droppings and deter potential clients. If you are dealing with a pigeon problem, you do have a solution available. Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control specialists are experts at handling these situations even in the largest commercial buildings. Contact a bird removal technician today to get your situation under control.