Wildlife belongs in the wild. Little field mice in your garden might be cute when you look out the window, but rodents and other small wild animals in your house are actually a pest. Once they move in, they destroy your property and can potentially spread serious diseases. The bottom line is you don’t want rodents, insects, and wildlife sharing your house with you.
Fall in Milwaukee is an extremely beautiful time of year, that many people look forward to, but it is also, unfortunately, the start of rodent season. Just like we all gravitate towards spending time indoors as the days get colder, rodents and other small animals also look for warm places to spend the winter. And what better place to nest than in a nice, warm home.
If you live in Milwaukee, animal control is an essential task in the fall and it is important to pest proof your home to avoid having unwelcome house guests in the winter. At best a pest infestation can be annoying, but at worst it can also have serious health and safety consequences. We all know that pests can spread serious diseases but they can also gnaw through electrical wires turning your home into a fire hazard.
Pest Proofing Checklist
When you pest-proof your home, it is important to make sure you cover all the bases, so here is a checklist to help you get the job done;
- Properly seal cracks and crevices on the outside of your property
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping
- Seal the area around utility pipes and make sure there are no gaps between the pipes and the wall
- Repair damaged screens on doors and windows
- Screen attic vents and chimney openings
- Install door sweeps
- Store food in airtight containers
- Dispose of garbage regularly and properly
- Keep your garden neat and trim shrubs away from the house
- Rake up leaves and clear garden debris
- Don’t store firewood up against the house (ideally, it should be 20 feet from the house)
- Eliminate potential water sources for animals by fixing leaking pipes and dripping taps
Animal control in Milwaukee is essential and when securing your home from small animals and pests, it is important to be thorough. Rats can squeeze through a gap the size of a quarter and mice only need a dime-sized hole to get into your home. If you suspect you have an infestation, or see signs of rodent or wildlife activity inside your home, contact a licensed Milwaukee animal control company as soon as possible to inspect your property and treat any problems. The sooner the better.
Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control specializes in effective humane wildlife removal and exclusion services. We perform a thorough inspection of your home, looking for signs of animal, rodent and pest activity, and identify potential entry points. Once we have done a complete assessment of your property, we will explain our findings and make recommendations. We will then use humane methods to remove any pests from your home and protect your home from future wildlife invasions. Our expert technicians will ensure the job is done quickly and properly, leaving you with the peace of mind that your home is safe.